Have you ever worried about whether you are truly a Christian? Or perhaps you wonder about another person's salvation.
Romans 8:5–9 gives us clarity because it shows us the difference between a life lived according to the flesh and a life lived according to the Spirit.
These verses aren't saying that we will never struggle with the flesh. Rather, they show us that there is an obvious disposition in someone who belongs to Christ versus someone who does not.
Welcome back, friends! We just wrapped up the first week of the Romans 8 study written by Pam Gillespie. This week, we observed the whole chapter and then went back to Genesis and Romans 1.
The value of going back to Genesis and Romans 1 was to establish that there is a Creator God. You either believe He exists or you do not, and whatever you believe about this will shape your worldview.
Today, I want to dive into this statement:
You either belong to God or you do not.
What We Know About Romans
Here is what we know so far:
Paul makes the argument that we are all under wrath and that works will not save us.
All of us are in need of reconciliation.
Paul reveals that God makes us righteous through the death of His Son, Jesus Christ, thus reconciling us to Himself.
Salvation comes through faith in Jesus Christ.
Then Paul begins to transition in Romans 7 to show that believers will have an ongoing struggle with the flesh, even though they have a new spirit living inside them.
This struggle will not go away until we are with the Lord.
Romans 8 shows us that we were once living according to the flesh, but we are now to live according to the Spirit.
This is where I want to turn our attention today.
Read Today's Passage
Read today's passage with me, and as I read, picture in your mind a before-and-after comparison.
Observing the Text
Keywords
Romans 8:5–9
8:5 Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh; but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.
8:6 The mind of the flesh is death, but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace,
8:7 because the mind of the flesh is hostile to God: It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so.
8:8 Those controlled by the flesh cannot please God.
8:9 You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
Identifying Contrasts
As we look at these verses, we see a clear contrast between the flesh and the Spirit.
The flesh describes who you were and what you were like before Christ, while the Spirit describes what you have and what you are like after Christ.
Now that we've identified the contrasts, let's create a list about what we learn from these two keywords.
Creating a List
As you continue in this study, you will be making all kinds of lists. It may seem like a lot of "extra" work, but let me reassure you that there is a benefit to doing this.
Most of the time, you will make a list from the keywords you have identified and marked. Marking is very helpful, and everyone does this differently.
Kari Dent has created Keyword Symbols that you could use as you mark the text, but I do like the simplicity that Pam provides in this study when it comes to marking because she just has you highlight, circle or underline a word, keeping it very simple.
Creating a list helps you slow down as you read, identify repeated ideas or words, and gather information that you would normally just bypass.
I bet you already know what list we will be creating today! Yep, it's the Flesh and Spirit—as if you didn't have a clue from what we just went over!
Before Christ
We lived according to the flesh by setting our minds on the things of the flesh.
Our minds were hostile toward God.
We could not submit to God's law.
We could not please God.
The end result was death.
After Christ
We live according to the Spirit by setting our minds on the things of the Spirit.
We have peace with God.
We are saved and forgiven through the sacrificial blood of Jesus Christ.
We have new life.
We have the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of us, enabling us to live according to the Spirit.
We belong to Christ.
We are controlled by the Spirit.
What Does It Mean to Set Our Minds on the Spirit?
As I was doing this study, I kept asking myself, "What exactly does it mean to set our minds on the things of the Spirit? And what does it look like to walk according to the Spirit?"
Remember, after Christ, we have the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of us, enabling us to live according to the Spirit.
When I say "after Christ," I mean after your salvation.
When a person walks according to the flesh, it means that they are pursuing desires that are contrary to what pleases God. Think of the list we saw in Romans 1.
In contrast, when a person walks according to the Spirit, they are actively and continuously pursuing a life that is becoming more like Christ.
The Struggle After Christ
I said earlier that our text for today isn't saying that we will never struggle with sin or the flesh. Rather, it is saying that there is an obvious disposition in someone who belongs to Christ versus someone who does not.
This process actually has a unique name: sanctification.
According to the Layman's Bible Dictionary, sanctification in the New Testament is:
"A work of grace following conversion."
Philippians 1:6 — "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."
"God calls all believers to holiness and sanctification."
1 Thessalonians 4:3, 7 — "For it is God's will that you should be holy: You must abstain from sexual immorality; For God did not call us to impurity, but in sanctification."
Romans 6:19 — "I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. For just as you once presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification."
"Those sanctified are committed to God's truth and serve as witnesses to His power and grace in the world."
Paul has been emphasizing in Chapter 7 that sin is powerful and that there is an ongoing struggle to do fleshly things.
Paul even shows us his own battle in Romans 7:15–20:
"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
And if I do what I do not want to do, I admit that the law is good." In that case, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it."
Key Phrase: "Set Their Minds"
Remember, Paul is speaking to believers in Rome. He is encouraging them to remember that they have the indwelling Holy Spirit and, because of that, they are able to set their minds on the things of the Spirit.
When they do this, they will have life and peace.
The Bible Knowledge Commentary says this regarding the phrase "set their minds":
"Having their minds set on, which would mean to keep on being mindful of or aspiring for what that nature desires. An unbeliever cares only for his sinful interests and has no regard for God. The exact opposite is true of those who live according to the Spirit. They aspire for and have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The sinful natures and the indwelling Spirit are in conflict with one another."
MacArthur also elaborates a bit more, saying:
"The verb behind 'set their minds' refers to the basic orientation, bent, and thought patterns of the mind, rather than to the mind or intellect itself. It includes a person's affections and will as well as reasoning."
This process looks different for everyone who is a Christian. One thing is for certain: once you are saved, you have a bent toward the things that please God.
I think Galatians 5:16–25 helps us see this more clearly.
"So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh craves what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are opposed to each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries, divisions, factions, and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us walk in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying one another."
Paul contrasts the works of the flesh with the fruit of the Spirit and reminds us that those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, we are called to walk in step with the Spirit.
I want to make sure we are on the same page: to practice these things means to habitually indulge in them.
Personal Reflection
I ask myself, How can I walk according to the Spirit? How can I set my mind on the things of the Spirit?
Ephesians 4:20–24 says:
"But this is not the way you came to know Christ. Surely you heard of Him and were taught in Him—in keeping with the truth that is in Jesus—to put off your former way of life, your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be renewed in the spirit of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."
To be renewed in the spirit of your minds.
This is my ultimate goal. That is why I love Scripture memory.
But I have the same challenges as Paul.
What I do know to be true is this:
I am a new creation, forgiven through Jesus Christ.
I have the indwelling Holy Spirit living inside of me.
I have life and peace and the promise of eternal life.
I am a daughter of the Most High King.
The Holy Spirit teaches and guides me every day.
Yet, although I know all of this, I still grieve the Holy Spirit.
I do this when I make choices not to spend time in His Word. I choose to watch TV over listening to a podcast that could edify my soul. I choose to scroll social media instead of praying, reading the Bible, or even working on Scripture memory.
Gosh, it really bothers me to know that I could actually grieve the Holy Spirit.
But I'm being honest with you.
This is the real-life reality of how our choices can impact our growth as believers. The sanctification process—becoming more like Christ—is a constant pursuit.
Remember This
You will not become more like Christ if you don't open your Bible to read.
2 Timothy 3:16–17:
"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work."
Every day when you wake up, the Lord has already established how He plans to prune you.
Will you allow Him to do this?
This requires you to make an effort to put off some things so that you can put on His Word.
5 Practical Ways to Set Your Mind on the Spirit
Today, I want to share five practical ways we can begin setting our minds on the things of the Spirit and allowing that to shape the way we live.
1. Read the Bible for a Set Time
I understand that life is busy, but if you are able to scroll on any form of social media, you have time to read the Bible.
Let me encourage you to start small. Set a timer for five minutes. Perhaps start in the Psalms and mark what you learn about God.
Make a list of what you learn about Him.
2. Memorize God's Living Word
If you know me, you knew this would be on the list!
Everyone can memorize Scripture, no matter your age. You may think that your brain isn't able to remember as well as it used to.
Well, think about this: whatever you are meditating on is exactly what God wants you to think about that day.
So, if it's the same verse over and over for a while, you are still setting your mind on what is good.
Think about it this way: if we are to set our minds on the Spirit, what better way is there to do this than to memorize Scripture?
You are keeping your mind focused on what is good and beneficial. If you are thinking about Scripture, well, you can't think about anything else—at least until your mind directs itself toward something else!
3. Take Time to Pray
This is the discipline I struggle with the most, which is why I'm in a prayer group. I want to do this, but it's hard for me to be consistent.
There are three books that I highly recommend:
4. Read One Proverb and One Psalm a Day
As you do, write down what you learn about God.
Perhaps you could also memorize a Psalm!
5. Start a Bible Study on Your Own or with Someone Else
For me, this is a no-brainer. How will you know what the Bible means if you don't put some time into studying it?
However, perhaps some of you who are listening are in a situation that makes it really hard to do this. But that is no excuse.
With all the technology available today, there has to be some resource—whether online or in person—that would fit your current circumstances.
I'm not sure what your situation is, but make time for Bible study.
There are so many great resources for Bible studies, but my favorites have been Precept inductive Bible studies and Pam Gillespie's studies.
Final Thoughts
I hope that one of these five suggestions resonated with you and that you will start today to set your mind on the things of the Spirit!
Or perhaps there is something else that would be helpful that I didn't mention. I would love to know what you are going to do.
You could write me a comment on the blog post or even send me a message if you're listening on Apple or Spotify.
Will you start today?
The next two episodes will be the Scripture memory review for verses 1 and 2 of Romans 8.
So, if you're memorizing Romans 8, continue listening to all of the chapters, and don't forget to get your notecards ready to start memorizing!
If today's episode brought you a little extra perspective or encouragement, take a second to hit the Follow or Subscribe button right now in your podcast app.
And if someone popped into your mind while you were listening, tap the share button and send this episode directly to them. It takes five seconds, and it means the world.
Until next time, stay tuned and stay rooted!
Copyright & Sources
Scripture & Study Resources
Bible Hub. “Romans 8:4.” Bible Hub.
https://biblehub.com/romans/8-4.htm#study
Martin, Ralph. “Sanctification.” Page 282 in Layman’s Bible Dictionary. Limited ed. Edited by George W. Knight and Rayburn W. Ray. Nashville: Holman Bible Publishers, 1997.
Walvoord, J. F., & Zuck, R. B. (Eds.). (1983). The Bible Knowledge Commentary: New Testament (p. 608). Victor Books.
MacArthur, John. Romans 1–8. MacArthur New Testament Commentary. Chicago: Moody Publishers, 1991, p. 416.
Music Attribution
Music by AtlasAudio from Pixabay.
Intro/Outro Music:
Intro Intro Music – AtlasAudio
Podcast Intro/Opening:
Podcast Intro Opening Talk Show – AtlasAudio
Artist: AtlasAudio on Pixabay
Music provided by Pixabay
A Well-Tended Heart
Where hearts are renewed, rooted, and cultivated through Scripture.
No comments:
Post a Comment